Friday 10 October 2014

Week 2: Another Group Project - Film Scene


The first 2 days of this week were used doing the asset swap which I covered in my last blog post so I'll just dive in with the last half.

I learned that our next project was again a group project. The brief was to recreate an interesting film scene as accurate (minus the actors) as possible in 3D and put it into Unreal Engine 4 and include lighting with a 20,000 tri budget.

I joined a group with Josh Sam and Momo, last week they had their first idea of a scene from Amelie shot down, so it was back to the drawing board.

This is my moodboard that i presented to the group, I picked colourful scenes that had interesting geometry and that would still hold their own if the actors were not present. The group favorite was the top right, the engineering section of the Enterprise from 'Star Trek 2009'.

However we ended up picking the bathroom scene from 'The Delicatessen'


This scene was interesting enough when the figure taken out, and there was a manageable amount of assets to make between us. The tutors liked this scene too so went for it.



 We then delegated the assets between us equally using coloured dots to indicate how many assets and features we each had to make. Using this we drew up tri budget guide to try and stick to when modelling.

So far out of my list I have made my Bath and soap shelf, which together only came to 1572 tris, nearly 1000 under budget! I also made the cups which totalled at 220 tris each, almost double the budget but it was in well placed geometry.

Bath Model
Soap Shelf Model
Cup Model

Including catching up from last week and the work for this project I feel like I have achieved a lot this week. The feedback from my peers has helped me where I've been stuck and I hope I can continue to be this productive throughout the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment